Thursday, March 31, 2011

On Postures in Worship

We recently started an all-church prayer meeting on Wednesday nights. When we arrived, we saw cushions on the floor. They were there so that we could kneel as we prayed, if we wished. Our leader, Andrew Allen, explained that the posture of kneeling signifies that we humbly present our requests to the Lord. The prophet Daniel, for example, kneeled to pray (Dan. 6:10). In fact the Bible often talks about postures in worship.

The Bible also says we can pray standing up, lifting our eyes toward heaven. Psalm 123 begins "I lift up my eyes to you, to you whose throne is in heaven." There is a hint in Luke 18:13 that Israelites often lifted their eyes toward God when they prayed, to show they sought his help.

The Bible also recommends that we lift our hands toward God.

Psalm 28:2 says, "Hear my cry for mercy as I call to you for help, as I lift up my hands toward your Most Holy Place." We can also lift our hands in praise. Psalms 63:4 says: "I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands." Psalm 134:2 commands, "Lift up your hands in the sanctuary and praise the LORD."

We can lift our hands to God, showing we long to hear his commands (Psalm 119:48). Finally, as Jesus lifted up his hands to bless his disciples in Luke 24:50, we can lift our eyes to heaven, to ask God's blessing (Psalm 121:11).

The lesson is that worship can and perhaps should be a whole- body experience. We use our voices to sing and read in unison, but when we lift our eyes or hands to God, we may feel our body agreeing with and strengthening what is in our heart and mind: We turn to God for his word, his aid and blessing.

(posted by Robbie for) Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment